Food: The Brain’s Best Medicine
At First Step Center, we understand that total recovery happens when the whole person is treated–the mind, body, and spirit. As part of our commitment to holistic healing, our nutritional program incorporates education, coaching, healthful eating, and targeted amino acid therapy for clients, so they may graduate treatment with the skills and education needed to nourish the body, decrease risk of relapse, and maintain a psychological and emotional balance.
One of the key components of our nutritional therapy program is a meal plan based on the 5 Star Pro-Recovery Diet.
What is the 5 Star Pro-Recovery Diet?
The 5 Star Pro-Recovery Diet is an integrative approach to nutrition that is personalized and intended to aid in the recovery process. The 5 key components are as follows:
1) Protein: Proteins are necessary in order to feed the brain and body essential amino acids. Proteins and amino acids are the building blocks for bones, tissue, nerves, blood, skin and organs. Amino acids
2) Fats: Healthy fats are crucial. They are the cell coat for every single see in our bodies and brains. Good fats help in the production of all our hormones, prevent carbo cravings, produces a nice long energy ride, help support a healthy libido, helps keeps our skin glowing, our bowels regular and is 60% of our brain! So make sure to have those delicious high quality fats on you plate as well.
3) Complex Carbohydrates: This group supports our energy with key nutrients, vitamins and minerals, which are necessary for the proteins and fats to do their job. Like the music that comes from a full orchestra we need all the instruments for the sound to touch our souls. This is true with our food; we need all 3 of these major food groups in variety to support our overall recovery and well-being.
4) Eating Clean: The quality of the food is a critical component of restoring the brain and over health. Choose the highest quality organic clean foods as much as possible. Eat Clean…Stay Clean is a phrase that carries a lot of weight in gold and in good health. Choose wisely. Your body, brain and mood will be very grateful you did.
5) Personalization: Personalizing your food means identifying and eating the best proteins, fats, and complex carbs that work for your body. Personalization includes: The Blood Type Diet, Ayurveda Dosha Type; Metabolic Type; Allergy Avoidance Diet; and Intuitive Eating.
In addition, it’s important to eat 3 meals a day at regular intervals with healthy snacks included when needed. Eating 3 meals a day at regular intervals not only helps to stabilize blood sugar, but also acts as a continuous reminder of your commitment to your recovery and total well-being. The final key is a healthy gut microbiome, which is crucial for proper digestion and nutrient absorption for optimal brain health.
Happy Healthy Eating, Pati Reiss
Pati Reiss is a certified holistic health coach/nutrition recovery coach, educator and chef. Her work focuses on teaching & coaching healthy lifestyle upgrades, addiction/mental health recovery and holistic gourmet cooking. This is done using nutrition, food, amino acid therapy, meditation and movement. Through her own healing recovery Pati has found that vibrant health, hope and recovery are possible and advocates this in all her teachings.